Morwenstow Church is paired with Kilkhampton Church
in the Deanery of Stratton
Parish Church of St Morwenna and St John the Baptist,
Morwenstow, is dedicated to Morwenna (a local saint) and
St.John the Baptist, and is part of the United Benefice
of Kilkhampton with Morwenstow, within the Diocese of
Truro. A non-stipendiary Curate-in-Charge (known locally
as ‘the Vicar’) lives in Kilkhampton and is responsible
for both churches, each of which has its own Parochial
Church Council (PCC).
Morwenstow Church is probably best-known for its links
with the 19th century cleric, poet and eccentric, the
Rev. R. S. Hawker, Vicar from 1834 to 1875. His vicarage
(now a private house) stands nearby. The Church has
close and very active links with St. Mark’s Church of
England Primary School, located at the nearby hamlet of
The Church is approached through a lych gate with a
slate stile alongside. An adjacent stone and slate
building was formerly used as a temporary mortuary, and
is still known locally as the ‘Dead House’.
The Church has eight bells and an enthusiastic band of
bell ringers. Four of the bells (including a tenor
weighing 8 hundredweight) were cast in 1753 and the
remaining pair in 1902.
For worshippers and other visitors there is a free car
park near the lych gate, with a small car park for
disabled visitors accessed from the driveway leading
down to the Old Vicarage.
A short stroll out to the cliffs and then south along
the Coast Path takes one to ‘Hawker’s Hut’ – the
driftwood hut where the Rev.Hawker wrote sermons and
poetry and contemplated the sea.