Cameroon, situated on the angle of the Gulf of Guinea, east of Nigeria, is home to some 200 different linguistic groups. It is sometimes called “Africa in Miniature”, not only for its many languages, but also for its varied climate, terrain, and economy.
It was created in 1961 by the amalgamation of British and French colonies. A population of over 20 million has a high literacy rate with approx two-thirds being Christian, one-fifth Muslim and the rest a mix of traditional African Beliefs.
Until recently there has been relative religious freedom. Muslims concentrated in the North, Christians in the Southern and Central areas, but with a significant mix of all faiths in every area with little inter-religious conflict.
Sadly, in the last 10 years or so, with the world wide rise of militant Islamist groups, here Boko Haram along with the Islamic Fulani Herdsmen, terrible acts of terrorism are being perpetrated along the north of the sub-Saharan lands of Nigeria, Chad, Mali and now Cameroon with the intention of forming a new Islamic state. As the leader of the Al-Qaeda associated terror group stated, they are at war with Christianity.
Killing , looting, kidnapping, destruction of churches and houses are now commonplace on a daily basis. Hundreds of schools have been closed, and many villages stand empty.
This has led to huge numbers of refugees fleeing their homes and livelihoods, with the added problem of refugees coming and seeking safety and refuge from the terror and violence in their own neighbouring countries.
The security forces of Cameroon have now joined forces with their counterparts from neighbouring countries in joint operations against the terrorists.
• Thank God for the large numbers of Christians in Cameroon, and for the general religious tolerance in the country.
• Pray for those who have lost family members, property, or livelihoods, that they will find comfort and support in their distress, and that they will be able to forgive their persecutors.
• Pray for those who have been kidnapped that they will be released untainted, and returned to their families.
• Pray for the large numbers of refugees that they will find the help and safety that they seek.
• Pray for the terrorists, that you will bless them and open their hearts to your presence and that they will come to know you as their Father, and Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.
• Give thanks for the unity in the regions, as they face the common enemy.
• Pray for the refugees that they will soon be able to return to their own areas.